Over the summer, I made some a platform and steps to keep my kids from falling out of the trampoline.
My youngest child was also fond of diving head first off the trampoline, so saved a hospital trip or two. I used chunky treated timber with half lap joints and decking for the platform.
I think I used one 4.8m (16ft) of treated 100x150mm (4"x6" inch) post, two 16ft decking lengths and some 2"x6" that I had lying around.
It's now December when I finally get around to editing and posting this and I think it should survive the winter no problem. I might add some 'feet' under the timber that is touching the ground as it will rot from the ground up in no time. I'm thinking some rubber or foam matting up on flat stones or pavers. Maybe.
I'll have another video up, sooner rather than later.
Kindling Box This article was posted on Sunday, 1st April 2018
I made a pair of wooden crates to store kindling in my home. Like most people in Ireland, burning wood is one of the main sources of heat in our house, and a continuous supply of kindling is needed, to get the fire going.
The process is detailed in the video, I did a narrated build as I lost some footage due to a hard disk crash, so it wouldn't have made sense without explanation. It's really uncomfortable having to edit footage of yourself talking to the camera. I spent more time trying to hide the cuts where I removed the 'Ummms' and pauses as I tried to think what happened next.
This should've been a simple project, but I went back and forth with how I was going to do certain aspects. I then rough cut the whole process, simplifying it, but then lost the rough cut in the crash. So I could not remember the order of processes or which parts were still relevant.
I never had a disk crash where I lost stuff, but it sucks. It was a Seagate disk and was so new when it crashed, that the back up hadn't been completed.
A couple of features I'm really happy with- the painted decals, they were a nightmare to do, due to a combination of dodgy vinyl and dodgy paint, but looked great when finished. The other feature is the handles, they're functional, look great and were relatively easy to do. I had seen this style of handle in another YouTube video somewhere but after I published the video, I found a photo on Instagram of some vintage crates (handle on Remington crate, top left)-
I'd love to know how those handles were cut in a production environment, they look a little rough, and not rough from years of use, they look as if they're rough-cut. I love old crates.
Anyway, I have another video in the works, should be out soon.
As far as I can remember, I set up the Rails project on a Rails-specific hosting account, and worked fine until the hosting company updated their Rails install and the website went kaput. I think it lasted two weeks, before the update. I then put together a Wordpress site, stuck it on johnrainsford.com and reposted the first few posts from the previous site.
Ironically, the first post is at a time when I was a full-time web designer and occasional screen printer. Ten years later I am a full-time screen printer (amongst other things) and an occasional web designer.
The robot print is still around, there is a framed printed in my boy's room, who was not even a gleam in my eye ten years ago.